About Debating Science Issues
DSI – Debating Science Issues is a dynamic debating competition which invites young people to engage in debate on the cultural, societal and ethical implications of advances in biomedical science. Coordinated by 9 research, medical and science centres in Ireland, Debating Science Issues is what true debate is all about.
Participating schools will also have the opportunity to avail of a 3-hour interactive student workshop on biomedical science before the debating competition begins.
Competition Prizes include framed certs and school trophies.
Open to students in the senior cycle of secondary school in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland the aim of the competition is to:
- Encourage young people to take an active interest in biomedical science and to engage with contemporary research
- Facilitate discussion amongst young people on the advances in the biomedical field and the societal and ethical impact of this research
- Stimulate young people to think differently about biomedical science, as they discover the immense impact it has on society and to consider a career or education in this field
- Expose students and teachers not normally involved in the traditional sciences to the area of biomedical science
- Generate awareness of biomedical research within the broader school community
How to get involved
If you are interested in taking part in the competition then you can find out more about our partners in the 4 provinces of Ireland by clicking on the images below: